Friday, April 11, 2008

Disproving Phobia

Yesterday I commented on the Ontario HRC's ridiculous argument against 'Islamophobia'. Al Siebring at NoApologies also picked up on it as well, and takes issue with the insinuation that he is irrational. In his argument, he focuses on another made-up word: 'homophobia'. (Incidentally, this is well-accepted in the wonderful world of leftist liberalism as another form of racism.) Translated literally, 'homophobia' must mean 'irrational fear of same', in which case the 'irrational' part is certainly self-evident. However, it's supposed to mean 'irrational fear of homosexuality or homosexuals' and it's meant to paint anyone with serious questions or reservations about homosexuality as irrational. Proving that your reservations are rational, however easy, is beside the point. He who defines the terms, wins; if you have to prove that you are rational, you are already starting on the defensive.

But the other part of that definition is the word fear. Not many 'homophobes' are legitimately afraid of homosexuals. Siebring states:

I happen to hold to a traditional view of sexuality, and I equally know that there’s not a single shred of “phobia” in my heart on this. I have known homosexuals. I have worked with them. I have befriended them; had them over to my house. Like my other friends, I have disagreed with them at times about various issues, and I’ve told them so. But I’ve never been scared of them.
The best argument against being labeled 'homophobic' is not semantic, but practical. Befriending homosexuals and inviting them into one's house is strong evidence against homophobia just as being a racecar driver is strong evidence against amaxophobia (fear of riding in a car). Christians should feel uncomfortable with the homosexual lifestyle - it is contrary to the created order - and should not hide it or apologize for it. But this needs to be balanced with the same friendship, love, and compassion that Christ gave to sinners of all kinds.

No comments: